Monday, October 7, 2013

Passion

I have a new passion...In January 2013 I took Financial Peace University for the first time. In the past I attended one of Dave Ramsey's one day Conferences in Houston and I enjoyed it. Years later I found myself in more debt than I ever wanted to be in and unsure how to get out. It seemed there was never enough money every month and I felt like if I could just make more then I could pay off my debt and live a normal life. Here's how my debt looked in January 2013:
            Best Buy Credit Card: $1075.00
            MasterCard:                 $5968.00
            Car Loan:                     $9581.00
                                                 ========
                            Total Debt:   $16,624.00

Here's my debt as of October 7, 2013:
           
            Car Loan:                 $1694.19

That's $14,929.81 dollars paid off in debt in 9 months!!!!! By being intentional with my money, telling my money where to go and budgeting I am almost non-mortgage debt free!!!! I did not get extra money from anywhere except my tax return and existing paycheck. Financial Peace was truly a life changing experience for me and November 15, 2013 I will make my final car payment, which I am over the moon about.

Life after debt. I am nervous about living my life after debt. I know how to get myself out of debt, but I find myself saying things like "after I pay off my car, I'm going to do this". I really have to change my whole way of thinking to get myself into Baby Step 3, which is saving 3-6 months of living expenses before moving into Step 4. Dave Ramsey is great in presenting budgeting and dumping debt. All of Dave's Program is really common sense, it's about finding the strength to be mature with money. It's so easy to be immature about money and to want things immediately rather than waiting, but man the wait is so worth it!

To stay motivated I have volunteered to be a facilitator for my Church. I am currently teaching my first class and I can say that I am learning just as much from being a facilitator than I did from being a participant. I can honestly say that I want to live like no one else, so I can live like no one else.
                

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! Sacrifices are hard but it does feel amazing to pay for something once and know it's yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you teach a personal class? Like come to my casa! Just saying. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete