Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Update on Breastfeeding: Once Again, Read AT YOUR OWN RISK
So here's the verdict: Baby E sucks incorrectly which has caused the "Nipple Trauma" on my nipples. Also, I have a breast infection which is also causing alot of the pain. I am on five medications right now: 1) Ibuprofen for Pain, 2) Fenogreek to encourage milk production--the pain has caused my milk supply to decrease more than it should be, 3) Dicloxacill for the infection, 4) Stool Softener-- need I say more??, and 5) Floranex to prevent yeast from forming on my nipples. Last night was one of the worst nights EVER, I had a fever and I had to get up every two hours to pump breastmilk for my baby. I was exhausted, Thank GOD for Jason, he fed the baby and got him back to sleep while I went back to sleep. Because of my decreased milk supply, I had to add some formula to his bottle, his tummy has not liked that. The medicine I am taking to increase my milk supply should kick in shortly so his tummy will feel alot better. The Lactation Consultant has assured me this is a problem that can be overcome. I just have to "retrain" Baby E to suck correctly, basically the problem is that his tongue is supposed to be over his lower gums while he is nursing, but when he swallows he pulls his tongue in to his mouth and arches it which is pushing my nipple into the top of his mouth. His tongue is supposed to curve around my nipple and "gently" swallow. My son doesn't do anything gently!!! So we are trying to retrain him, my doctor doesn't want me to start nursing him again for a few days to give my nipples time to heal, so hopefully in a few days I will be able to report a successful breastfeeding story. Please pray and think of me and Baby E to get through this difficult time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hang in there mommy! It's well worth the pain and we will certainly pray for you both. You are a real trooper to stick with it. I'm proud of you.
ReplyDeleteAunt Jeanie
Yes, hang in there Elizabeth. You are doing something great for baby E. I have been thinking about you and Mandy keeps me well informed. He is PRECIOUS!!!!
ReplyDelete